Sunday, March 4, 2012

Um...Teachers Can't Wear Trousers???

I should be grading or finishing up the two different tests I will be giving tomorrow morning, but this afternoon 1) knowing the Ghana group is there and hearing via technology from two of my colleagues in that cohort, 2) e-mailing back & forth with my Ukrainian partner teacher (for the week in Odessa) complete with a bit of shocking attire news (for me anyway) & finally having a specific school address to zoom in on both maps & Google Earth, 3) e-mailing my US partner teacher for the time in Odessa & arranging a time to talk on the phone this week, & 4) realizing I can add WIDGETS to this blog are making it really, really difficult to focus on anything other than my upcoming adventure to Ukraine!!! I guess #5 would even be that someone responded to my question in the TripAdvisor "Ukraine" forum!

I also realize I have to back up and give some overview of what this program is and how I would up going to Ukraine. That post is in process. I promise it will be finished "relatively" soon. Just ask me questions if you are completely lost! ;-)  Now, on to my list from above!!!

1) Ghana cohort: In addition to Karen, Eric has now posted on his Facebook wall that he has arrived and is enjoying resting tonight. 

2)  Let's just cut to the chase about what REALLY got me going about an hour ago with trip "hyper-focusing" & such. As some of you know, I have to be selective with my shoes for multiple reasons involving foot pain & my propensity to find any crevice, little rock, or other object that might make one trip, stumble or fall.

Well, here is an exert of an e-mail I got this afternoon: "Concerning the shoes. Well, I hope the hotel  will be not far - 15 min of walk (sorry I don't know about km - I am not a driver), but I would suggest having comfortable shoes for after school (something like trainers) and comfortable, but nice shoes for school (we have a kind of dress code at school - neither students nor teachers are supposed to wear T shirts or jeans, and teachers can't wear trousers - I know you are surprised.)"

Forget the shoes. HANG ON a minute. By TROUSERS does she mean DRESS PANTS???? Talk about getting me off my shoe worries.  No black dress pants?? The funny thing is I made it through the entire adventure of of the 2006-2007 school year I'm pretty sure w/out ever wearing a skirt. I worked those dressy pantsuits & heels like you wouldn't believe....& have the pictures to prove it!!!

When I asked for clarification she responded: "Well, Jennifer, I can imagine your panic when you got the news about our notorious dress code with pants! I realize it is funny and not funny  :)  I think as visitors you can be excused , if you wear nice slacks  (not jeans) - maybe it will help us to change our school rules. (I doubt it  :) Our school does have its funny ways !" 

So, while I feel a bit better, I do believe I will be in search of more black skirts over the next few weeks!

The other part is that Elena provided me a specific address for her school in Odessa so I can find it on Google Earth. Yes, that is a whole new level of trip excitement for me!!

3) My partner teacher, Karen Kelly, teaches high school social studies in Scales Mound, Indiana. We got to know one another in DC by spending some time on Sunday in the Museum of American History together and then having dinner with a couple other folks at Old Ebbitt Grill near The White House. We are both excited and anxious about the VERY blank schedule form IREX sent us to fill out. We are working on a time this week to talk by phone to work on it collaboratively. I am excited to be working with Karen on this adventure.       

4) As more teachers have created their TGC blogs, I've noticed cool clocks, weather forecasts, & maps appearing. Those of you that know me likely need no further explanation except that I've discovered that widgets on blogs are way more fun than those we were told about for our teacher laptops!! ;-) For now they are near the bottom because I haven't figured out how to rearrange gadgets on this blog without deleting and starting over. That would take even more time....so not today.

Below are a couple pictures Elena sent from Final Ceremony for the 11th formers (graders) when they were about to leave school. These were taken last May.

No comments:

Post a Comment