Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Ukrainian Moments: Highlighting Where I'm Headed


Last Tuesday I began a weekly segment of 10 minutes or so in my four social studies classes entitled "Ukrainian Moments." This idea was greeted warmly by my students as they enthusiastically labeled several pages in their ISNs (interactive student notebooks) for this special section. Of course, giving all of them a Ukraine sticker (the wonders of white labels & a color printer!!) for either the first page or either their ISN cover didn't hurt either. However, there is a real reason we created this section last week and add to it later today.

As I travel to Ukraine in less than five weeks, I believe it is is important that my students know more about Ukraine than the required GPS elements about the lingering environmental impact of the Chernobyl disaster and that Ukraine was a part of the former USSR.

For them to be able to write postcards to students I will be meeting in Ukraine and for them to authentically follow my journey on this blog, Edmodo, and hopefully Facetime or Skype, they must know more.

In last Tuesday's Ukrainian Moment, I highlighted the Ukrainian flag and the last presidential election in Ukraine (only their 5th) since it was primary voting day in Georgia and Super Tuesday across the country. I never dreamed the age, historical overview & symbolism on such a simple flag could be such a powerful teaching tool.

Seeing them make connections of why something happened with the Ukraine flag related to things we've studied earlier in the year such as the Russian Revolution was, in a word, cool. But the neatest part for me was when I was showing the colors on the LCD projector. So, in the words of our beloved, late Larry Munson, let me help you "Get the picture, now." Imagine the room dimmed so that the the flag image is more visible. As I explained that the blue represented the blue sky so visible in Ukraine and the many streams a young lady spontaneously blurted out "I see the sky!" as she looked intently at the flag image. Suddenly some other students (not all, mind you) could "see" it too. The same thing happened as we moved on to the yellow representing the wheat fields. This of course led to connections to both Canada's Bread Basket area and the agricultural regions of our own country in relation to the significance of Ukrainian wheat in Europe, especially Eastern Europe, and in the USSR during the Soviet era.

 
I realize some folks likely think I should spend quite a deal more time teaching my students about Ukraine before my travels. That, however, is not a realistic option. Practically speaking, this is THE busiest time of the year in regards to teaching the required curriculum. The Georgia CRCT testing (Criterion-Referenced Competency Test) occurs while I'm in Ukraine. While in Washington, DC at the Global Symposium,I learned that some of my colleagues from across the country do not have standardized testing in social studies as it is not mandated my No Child Left Behind. Needless to say, that puts us in two different camps as far as preparing for the trip and to be out of our classrooms for two weeks.

I do anticipate being able to spend more time with my 3rd period AC Enrichment/Literacy class over the next few weeks as we begin the final quarter of the school year. 

Given the implications of a required set of performance standards to teach coupled with the upcoming state testing, I've had to find a way to address both time-sensitive needs. That reality is what has developed into weekly Ukrainian Moments.

We are excited that tomorrow will bring installment #2 of our weekly Ukrainian Moments! :)


Flag overview from WorldFlags101:

Ukrainian Flag Meaning:
The blue half represents peace, the sky above Ukraine and the country's streams and the yellow represents prosperity and the color of the country's wheat fields.
Ukrainian Flag History:
The Ukrainian flag was adopted on January 28, 1992. The blue and yellow national colors of Ukraine originated in 1848 and came from the coat of arms of the city of Lviv. Ukraine officially adopted a blue and yellow national flag in 1918. The flag was the same as the one flown in 1848, yellow on top of blue. In 1918, the colors were reversed. Ukraine gained independence from the Soviet Union on August 24, 1991
Interesting Ukrainian Flag Facts:
When Ukraine was under Soviet rule this flag was forbidden as a symbol of nationalism. The Ukrainian SSR had its own flag

1 comment:

  1. I definitely agree. Just by reading a book, it seems like you can travel anywhere. I take this skype ukrainian class at http://preply.com/en/ukrainian-by-skype and my teacher told me if you have wide imagination, you can be anywhere you like.

    ReplyDelete